More About FOW
A not-for profit 501(c)(3) organization, Friends of Writers was established in 1991 as an independent non-profit organization. In addition to providing scholarships to MFA students and fellowships to MFA grads, FOW also provides scholarships and financial support to an annual conference of alumni from the MFA for Writers at Warren Wilson College.
Friends of Writers has supported the production of five writing anthologies. The editors and all contributors to those volumes donated 100% of each book’s advance and royalties to Friends of Writers’ scholarship funds.
All donations to Friends of Writers flow directly into the scholarships and other support of the literary community.
Friends of Writers enriches American poetry and fiction by cultivating new and vital literary voices.
Friends of Writers Board of Directors
|Ellen Voigt*||1991 - 2019|
|Debra Allbery (Ex Officio)||2010 –|
|Joan Aleshire, Founding Dir||1991 -|
|Martha Rhodes*||1991 - 2019|
|Daniel Tobin*||2005 - 2019|
|Eleanor Wilner*||2006 - 2019|
|Elizabeth T. Gray, Jr.*||2010 - 2019|
|David Haynes||2010 - 2019|
|Abigail Wender*||2010 - 2019|
|Peter Klank||2011 - 2020|
|Maeve Kinkead||2011 - 2020|
|Geoff Kronik||2012 - 2018|
|Mary Jo Thompson||2012 - 2018|
|Carrie Mar||2014 - 2017|
|Ellen McCulloch-Lovell ||2014 - 2017|
|Catherine Brown||2012 - 2018||Terms Completed|
|Rolf Yngve||2012 - 2018||Terms Completed|
|Janet Crossen||2014 - 2017||Term Completed|
|Maudelle Driskell||2008 - 2017||Terms Completed|
|A.Van Jordan||2012 - 2015||Term completed|
|Mike Puican||2012 - 2015||Term completed|
|Cheryl Baldi||1995 - 2012||Terms completed|
|Melissa Hotchkiss||1999 - 2006||Terms completed|
|Michael Collier||2000 - 2006||Terms completed|
|Pete Turchi (Ex Officio)||2002 - 2008||Terms completed|
|Catherine Barnett||2004 - 2010||Terms completed|
|Cammy Thomas||2005 - 2011||Terms completed|
|Nan Cuba||2005 - 2014||Terms completed
|Shannon Cain||2006 - 2009||Term completed|
|Jasmine Beach-Ferrara||2006 - 2011||Terms completed|
|Judy French||2006 - 2009||Term completed|
|Jynne Martin||2007 - 2010||Term completed|
|Vyvyane Loh||2007 - 2013||Terms completed|
|C. Dale Young||2007 - 2010||Term completed|
|Peter Turchi||2008 - 2011||Term completed|
- The Board will include 15-20 voting members.
- Board terms are defined as three-year, renewable, usually beginning and ending in August.
- Active, participating Board members will always be encouraged to renew their terms when they expire. Term limits, though, give members a chance to take a leave from the Board when circumstances and other commitments make such active participation difficult. Outgoing and former Board members are welcome to join the Board’s Advisory Panel(s).
- We are committed to strong Warren Wilson alumni and faculty presence on the Board.
- We are committed to 100% active participation by members. It is assumed that during a 3-year term, only exceptional circumstances will interfere with a Board member’s attendance at least 4 of the 6 standing meetings or with active involvement in at least one of its projects.
- The MFA Program Director holds an Ex Officio appointment; an individual who no longer holds that position is also eligible for a subsequent regular term.
- The Board may be complemented by an adjunct Advisory Panel or panels, whose members will bear neither fiscal responsibility nor voting privileges but whose skills, experience and active participation in Friends’ projects are crucial resources. Advisors would also be welcome at Board meetings although attendance is not expected. A term on the Board proper is not a requirement for invitation to serve as an Advisor.
- The Board shall establish any internal or adjunct committees necessary to the efficient discharge of its responsibilities.
- A 2/3 vote from the Board shall be required to dissolve Friends of Writers. Upon dissolution of Friends of Writers any assets remaining after payment of or provision for its debts and liabilities shall, consistent with the mission of Friends, be paid to a charitable organization with similar missions that are exempt under the provisions of section 501c 3of the IRS Code. Upon dissolution, no part of the net assets or net earnings of Friends of Writers shall inure to the benefit of or be paid or distributed to any Board Member of the organization.