More About FOW
A not-for profit 501(c)(3) organization, Friends of Writers was established in 1991 as an independent non-profit organization. In addition to providing scholarships to MFA students and fellowships to MFA grads, FOW also provides scholarships and financial support to an annual conference of alumni from the MFA for Writers at Warren Wilson College.
Friends of Writers has supported the production of five writing anthologies. The editors and all contributors to those volumes donated 100% of each book’s advance and royalties to Friends of Writers’ scholarship funds.
All donations to Friends of Writers flow directly into the scholarships and other support of the literary community.
Friends of Writers enriches American poetry and fiction by cultivating new and vital literary voices.
BOARD COMPOSITION & GOVERNANCE: OVERVIEW
Friends of Writers Board of Directors
|Ellen Voigt*||1991 - 2019|
|Debra Allbery (Ex Officio)||2010 –|
|Joan Aleshire, Founding Dir||1991 -|
|Martha Rhodes*||1991 - 2019|
|Daniel Tobin*||2005 - 2019|
|Eleanor Wilner*||2006 - 2019|
|Elizabeth T. Gray, Jr.*||2010 - 2019|
|David Haynes||2010 - 2019|
|Abigail Wender*||2010 - 2019|
|Peter Klank||2011 - 2020|
|Maeve Kinkead||2011 - 2020|
|Geoff Kronik||2012 - 2018|
|Mary Jo Thompson||2012 - 2018|
|Carrie Mar||2014 - 2017|
|Ellen McCulloch-Lovell ||2014 - 2017|
|Catherine Brown||2012 - 2018||Terms Completed|
|Rolf Yngve||2012 - 2018||Terms Completed|
|Janet Crossen||2014 - 2017||Term Completed|
|Maudelle Driskell||2008 - 2017||Terms Completed|
|A.Van Jordan||2012 - 2015||Term completed|
|Mike Puican||2012 - 2015||Term completed|
|Cheryl Baldi||1995 - 2012||Terms completed|
|Melissa Hotchkiss||1999 - 2006||Terms completed|
|Michael Collier||2000 - 2006||Terms completed|
|Pete Turchi (Ex Officio)||2002 - 2008||Terms completed|
|Catherine Barnett||2004 - 2010||Terms completed|
|Cammy Thomas||2005 - 2011||Terms completed|
|Nan Cuba||2005 - 2014||Terms completed
|Shannon Cain||2006 - 2009||Term completed|
|Jasmine Beach-Ferrara||2006 - 2011||Terms completed|
|Judy French||2006 - 2009||Term completed|
|Jynne Martin||2007 - 2010||Term completed|
|Vyvyane Loh||2007 - 2013||Terms completed|
|C. Dale Young||2007 - 2010||Term completed|
|Peter Turchi||2008 - 2011||Term completed|
- The Board of Directors consists of 15-20 members, whose three-year terms are renewable.
- The full Board meets twice yearly. Between Board meetings, committees and task forces meet in person or by phone, and project reports are circulated quarterly to keep all Board members apprised of progress in various areas.
- FOW’s Officers consist of a President, Treasurer, Corporate Secretary, and a varying number of Vice Presidents.
- FOW is committed to a strong presence on the Board of the alumni and faculty of programs our fundraising benefits, and to 100% active participation by all members.
- Currently the Warren Wilson MFA Program Director holds an ex-officio appointment on the FOW Board, and, upon leaving that position, is eligible to serve for a subsequent regular term on the Board.
- The Board is empowered to establish any internal or adjunct committees, task forces, or working groups it needs to carry out its activities. It currently has an Executive Committee (consisting of the corporation’s Officers), a Nominating Committee, and a Finance Committee.
- As needed, the Board establishes non-voting advisory panels, whose members’ skills, experience and active participation in FOW projects further FOW’s mission.
- A 2/3 vote of the Board is required to dissolve FOW. Upon dissolution, any and all residual assets will be paid to a charitable 501(c)(3) organization with a similar mission.
- The complete version of FOW’s By-Laws are available upon request.