The Larry Levis Post-Graduate Stipend supports graduates of the MFA Program for Writers who are completing their first books. Recent winners of the Larry Levis Alumni Stipend include Edward Porter and Adam Jernigan in Fiction, and Ross White, Ben Jackson, and Jenny Johnson in Poetry.
In 2017, two Levis Stipends will be awarded, one for poetry and one for fiction.The amount of the stipend is determined by the income produced by the Levis Fund Endowment during the previous year. In 2017 the award will be in the amount of $4,000. Judges will be announced with the winning manuscripts.
- All submissions must be made via Submittable. An entry fee of $30 is required to process the application.
- Include in your application a statement regarding how the award will be used, projected completion date of the book manuscript, and a list of publication credits.
- Include a 40-page fiction manuscript or 20-page poetry manuscript. Document margins should be at least one inch; text should be in an easily readable 12-point typeface. Pages submitted beyond the page count will not be considered. Manuscripts are judged blindly; your name should not appear anywhere on your manuscript. If it does, your application will be disqualified and removed from consideration.
- Submit your entry via Submittable. Do not use your name in the Submittable project title or filenames. (Your project title can be either the title of your manuscript or something like “Levis poetry manuscript.”) Label your attachments “cover letter” and “manuscript.” Both must be submitted as .pdf files.
- Submissions will be accepted between September 1 and November 15, 2017.
- Stipends will be awarded in January 2018. Stipends are fully taxable under United Stated tax laws, and Friends of Writers must declare the awards to the Internal Revenue Service. Taxes and payments of taxes are solely the responsibility of individual award winners.